When it comes to recovery, many things can affect the process and potential for success. One of the positive things that you can do to keep a healthy recovery path is to maintain physical wellness. Physical wellness can consist of exercise, keeping a healthy diet, and managing your sleep schedule. When working through treatment, you want to try and balance the health of both your body and mind.
How to Maintain Healthy Eating Habits
Developing a healthy eating routine and establishing healthy eating habits are important factors when maintaining physical wellness. You may not think about the physical impact that addiction and substance use disorders have on the body, but in recovery, you have to repair the damage that was done and rebuild.
An article posted by MedlinePlus gives further insight into how addiction and substance use can damage the body. By providing specific examples of how different substances can cause varying symptoms, you can understand the effects at hand.
Changing your eating habits and creating a healthy diet is one of the first steps to take when boosting your physical wellness. There are many different options when taking the first steps towards establishing healthy eating habits such as:
- Cleansing: A cleanse is a style of diet that helps the body detox from unnecessary toxins in the body. There are many different types of cleanse diets with the most popular being a juice cleanse. When detoxing, make sure that you do your research or speak with a medical professional to ensure this is a healthy option for you and that you are sustaining the nutrients your body needs to recover.
- Meal prep: Meal preparations help to coordinate healthy eating habits into your weekly diet. Meal prepping can consist of scheduling out a whole week’s worth of food options, specified for each meal time. This leaves little room for snacking or binge eating because there is already premade food available.
- Portion control: When creating healthy eating habits something to keep in mind is the portions you consume. While grilled chicken can be good for you, anything in large portions can still be harsh on the body. Choosing specific portion sizes helps regulate food consumption while still providing you with the needed nutrients and benefits of the food source.
- Create a schedule: Have you noticed that you tend to snack throughout your day or late into the evening? Creating a schedule for meals and snack times can help to stop negative eating habits such as binge eating and over-snacking. A schedule helps create a routine of food consumption that your body can adjust to.
Contributions to a Healthy Recovery
Physical wellness includes establishing a healthy diet, maintaining physical activity, and adopting the ability to be mindful. Tackling recovery can be quite difficult to do, especially if your body has been conditioned to negative eating habits and a lack of exercise. Improving these areas can take away some of the stress and anxiety you may be experiencing through recovery.
Improving your physical wellness can start with simple tasks. Some of these can include the following changes:
- Changing from snacking on a bag of chips to snacking on fresh fruits and vegetables
- Using the stairs instead of an elevator
- Stopping your food consumption after feeling satisfied rather than being stuffed full
These are all minor adjustments that can help you improve your physical well-being.
In a study published by Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse, exercise was shown to be a rewarding, engaging, healthy, and safe alternative behavior when straying away from substance use. By changing small aspects of your daily routines, you can gradually improve your overall physical wellness and feel better physically and mentally.
Healing Pines Use of Exercise
Healing Pines Recovery, located in Elizabeth, CO, integrates many different opportunities to better your physical wellness. With 40 acres of mountains and wilderness to explore, Healing Pines uses exercise as one of its many ways to improve physical wellness. Treating the entire person is something that is held in high regard. Healing Pines will work to find an enjoyable motive to help you improve your physical wellness.
At Healing Pines Recovery, experiential therapy is offered. This therapeutic form involves many outdoor activities that can contribute to your physical wellness through exercise and engagement with nature. Some of the exercise options Healing Pines offers are:
- Disk golf
- Mountain biking
- Hiking Trails
This can help you to focus on your physical fitness and nutrition to help you build a healthy body and mind. Exercise can not only help to improve how you feel about yourself but can help improve your energy levels. This can help you gather the motivation necessary to tackle the more emotional parts of your recovery.
Physical wellness is an important aspect of recovery. It is important that we not only have a healthy mind but body as well. Maintaining a healthy diet and engaging in physical activities is a great way to boost mental and physical health. Having a healthy body can take a lot of stress off your recovery journey. Here at Healing Pines Recovery, our staff is equipped with the skills needed to support healing the entire person and provide you with guidance for implementing and improving healthy habits.
When starting on your recovery journey, some of the first steps to take are bettering your mental and physical well-being. Physical wellness is an important aspect when it comes to recovery. Because of the damage our bodies encounter from addiction and substance use disorder, improving our physical bodies is essential.
Healing Pines Recovery aims to help heal not only your mind but your body as well. When maintaining physical wellness, it’s not just about physical exercise but the overall healing of your body. It can be difficult to tackle this and hold yourself accountable when overcoming these obstacles alone. Healing Pines staff are here to help and provide guidance through this process.
If you or another male you know is looking to gain additional help in the recovery process, do not hesitate to reach out to Healing Pines Recovery today at 720-575-2621.